Tuesday, February 24, 2015

A Fun New Process

So recently I have been working on a fun project with a whole different working process from what I’m used to. As I have mentioned previously I have been encouraged to experiment with my work and, in with this studio in particular, combine traditional with digital processes. For this most recent project I have decided to combine watercolor with Photoshop. The majority of the process I will be going over is traditional based with a little bit of Photoshop editing towards the end.

 I used graphite for the initial process of working  until I was satisfied with a line drawing.

  
From there, I chose to render the piece in sections. I duplicated my line work multiple times on Bristol paper and rendered small sections of it to be later compiled and edited in Photoshop. I used mostly one hue for these renderings to make certain I had the values working well.

 Once I completed those I scanned them in, pieced them together and edited the contrast, then multiplied the layers. I also converted the image to grayscale so I had a clean slate to work with when choosing colors.



By using the lasso tool I quickly was able to select the areas I wanted to color while still retaining the traditional textures beneath. This is the final result. Overall I really enjoyed this process, especially once I was able to color it. I believe I still need to push it a bit further until I'm completely satisfied with it, but I thought I would share this process for those who are interested.

Until next time,
Rachel

6 comments:

  1. I absolutely love how simple the artwork starts out, and then how you make it amazing. Great work. I especially love the trees. The texture and overlapping colors are pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I like seeing the whole process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading about your process!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you did a great job combining the traditional with the digital. At first I thought you scanned in the complete illustration done in watercolor! Thanks for sharing the process, I'd love to try it some day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Your process is so cool. You combine traditional and digital perfectly. I'm definitely going to try this sometime :)

    ReplyDelete